Reports to: Food Service Director. Works collaboratively with the Guest Services Director and other area directors to accomplish food service objectives.
Status: Full-time, benefited, salaried position
Updated: May 1, 2022
Start Date: Immediate
The mission of The Firs is for people to encounter Jesus and experience the love of God. Food plays a key role in our larger work of hospitality, setting the context for our guests to encounter what really matters.
Our Kitchen Manager is responsible for ensuring that all meals coming from the kitchen are well prepared, with regard to quality, consistency, taste and food cost. We are looking for an experienced individual who has a desire to use their culinary skills to support our well-established Christian ministry.
This position is a permanent, full-time, year-round salaried position with benefits that include paid time off, medical and retirement contributions.
- Cook in a lead position and supervise the entire kitchen simultaneously.
- Serve as part of a team, providing food service across our three locations:
Retreat Center – located at 4605 Cable Street, Bellingham, WA
Camp Firwood – 9 miles from the Retreat Center in Bellingham
Firs Chalet – 56 miles from the Retreat Center, by the Mt. Baker Ski Area
Desired Qualifications & Skills:
- Ability to successfully prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, under pressure in a commercial kitchen.
- Part of the larger full-time Firs staff team, helping in other areas when needed, attending staff meetings, prayer gatherings and staff retreats.
- Knowledge of “from scratch” cooking.
- Familiar with the safe utilization of all types of commercial kitchen equipment.
- Reliable, consistent work attendance is a requirement of this position.
- Must be available to work some nights, weekends and holidays.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, listening, writing), including conflict resolution experience.
- Experience with recruiting, scheduling, developing and evaluating staff.
- Must be organized and self-motivated, with strong attention to detail.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time.
- Must be able to pass drug tests and criminal background checks. The Firs will not tolerate harassing or abusive behavior of any kind.
- Agreement and willingness to sign The Firs’ ministry statements.
Education &/or Experience:
- Culinary Arts (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year technical college; or five years foodservice related supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- ServSafe Certification.
- Experience with menu planning, meal cost and recipe development.
- Experience producing an accurate physical inventory.
- Able to consistently manage food and labor costs to budget.
- Must be comfortable using a computer, online portals and basic productivity (Microsoft
Office, Google Suite, etc.) for ordering, inventory, memos, and the like.
The Firs serves the local church and community by drawing groups and individuals to a camp and retreat setting. The Firs exists for people to encounter Jesus and experience the love of God – this is our core mission. From its beginning, The Firs has focused on developing and maintaining a ministry to God’s glory. The Firs’ emphasis has been to help people believe. This is done through instruction, creative activities and significant relationships. The Firs’ three facilities serve to support these efforts and provide a place for organizations and other ministries of similar purpose to offer programs of their own.
The Vision of The Firs is to see our world changed through Christ-centered children and family ministries, conferences and camping initiatives.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and application to Jim McClure at [email protected]. Questions about the position are welcome.