Job Title: HR/Personnel Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Updated: July 2022
A successful candidate for this position must be a very well organized, neat, detail oriented and loyal person. They must have previous experience with Human Resources at an organization. They must be a self-starter and be able to discern what is needed, not just do what they are told. He/she must be a hard worker who is able to work behind the scenes for the benefit of others with a servant’s heart and possess a good sense of humor. They must be committed to serving the Lord and to the ministry and mission of The Firs. Also must be able to maintain total confidentiality.
- Ensure employees follow all policies and procedures.
- Supervises all HR activities, communications, reports, requests and documents created by the team.
- Facilitates recruiting and interviewing of all candidates.
- Facilitate the hiring process for all Firs staff and employees: Advertise the need; schedule interviews with department heads; make travel arrangements; arrange hospitality. Conduct Screen interviews (before setting up interviews with department heads).
- Update I-9 form yearly from government website. File all staff (including Firwood and Fircreek) I-9s in our files for the audits.
- Conduct all exit interviews.
- Keep personnel files in your possession and locked. Utilize both electronic and printed means for filing and storage. Note all pertinent information per file and assure confidentiality. Familiarity with Paylocity.
- This position reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with Program Directors.
- HR or related certification preferred.
- Look out for the needs of the employees, encourage them and bring matters for action or change to the Executive Team.
- Maintain corporate compliance in all personnel procedures as per current government regulations – as well as appropriate record keeping, employee notification and general matters of employee care.
- Keep Firs Employee Handbook current and in the hands of all employees. Oversee compliance of all staff policies and make recommendations for action or change to the Executive Team.
- Oversee annual performance appraisals by all supervisors and assure the completion of them in a timely manner.
- Keep all staff forms (Covenant, Hold Harmless, application, I-9s, W-4s, etc…) filed and accessible.
- Distribute staff vacation forms at the first of the year and be sure they are turned in.
- Purchase and give staff birthday cards to ED for signature.
- Work with Office Manager/Receptionist on staff events (decade birthdays, staff parties, etc.).
- Keep all federal and state government posters up to date.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Good keyboarding ability, proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Proficient in database management.
- Good creative ability.
- Good proofreading ability.
- Some basic knowledge of letter writing, filing, and minute taking.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently, give attention to detail, meet concurrent deadlines, organize time and priorities, and communicate well with others.
- Able to handle all matters confidentially.
- Good working with people and motivating them for service.
Education and/or Experience
Associate’s degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or 2-3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. At least 5 years of experience in Human Resources.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, business contacts, and staff.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
Have a valid Washington State driver’s license.
Must be able to sign The Firs Staff Covenant and Doctrinal statements annually.